Pros and Cons of EPS and XPS
- Recyclable products that assist with LEED points.
- Won’t support mold or mildew growth.
- Long-term, stable R-value.
- Can be placed below grade.
- Can be utilized for inverted assemblies (over membrane).
- Exposure to sun will deteriorate the product.
- Solvents/solvent-based materials cause irreversible damage.
- Elevated temperatures (above 250 degrees F.) will “melt” polystyrene.
- Incompatible with certain thermoplastics, polystyrene insulation’s are known to draw plasticizers out of thermoplastic membranes, causing permanent degradation.
- Polystyrene is flammable, requiring proper placement in any assembly.